Sunday, December 31, 2006

Rick Sieber

Not the most adventurous list, I must confess. Most of my trailblazing this year involved older stuff, which may be a sign that I am about to turn 32. I would like to at least give a shout out to the Move, Mott the Hoople, Afrika Bambaataa, Curtis Mayfield, and the Beach Boys. These were a few of my very favorite artists in 2006, even if they all broke up (or stopped being good) ages ago.

As for this year’s releases, I feel I have only listened to a fraction of the great stuff that’s out there. I’m sure I’ll get to it eventually. For now, Yo La Tengo takes the title. It’s one of their three or four best albums to these ears, and their predictably consistent quality is the only reason this album isn’t finishing higher in year-end polls. That, and the horrible album title. I was also rather high on the redhead alt.country chanteuses this year, with Neko Case edging out Jenny Lewis for the title. And though people are leaving the Flaming Lips bandwagon in droves, I think they are still bringing the goods. This album is certainly of a piece with their recent (and much more highly praised) work, but what do I know.

A special thank you to all of you who turned me on to any of the artists (past or present) mentioned here.

New Year’s Resolution: Listen to more hip hop.

FAVORITE ALBUMS:

1. I am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass – Yo La Tengo
2. Fox Confessor Brings the Flood – Neko Case
3. At War With the Mystics – The Flaming Lips
4. Let’s Get Out of this Country – Camera Obscura
5. Rabbit Fur Coat – Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins
6. Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not – Arctic Monkeys
7. Return to Cookie Mountain – TV on the Radio
8. Modern Times – Bob Dylan
9. News & Tributes – The Futureheads
10. The Lemonheads – The Lemonheads



FAVORITE SONGS:

1. “The W.A.N.D.” – The Flaming Lips
2. “Phantom Limb” – The Shins
3. “Pittsburgh” – The Lemonheads
4. “Don’t Feel Right” – The Roots
5. “Next Door Neighbour” – Ray Davies
6. “Angelita” – Jon Auer
7. “A Certain Romance” – Arctic Monkeys
8. “Crazy” – Gnarls Barkley
9. “Worry About It Later” – The Futureheads
10. “Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken” – Camera Obscura

No comments: